Monday, February 1, 2016

Mom Fail


A few months ago I wrote this blog post about failing my kids, especially my oldest Ayden. 
This year, he's in 7th grade and in another new school. He plays soccer, but his real love is music. He's in the band and in the choir. He is constantly playing his guitar and practicing his scales on the trumpet. He brought home a paper about honors choir, an after school choir where you have to audition to get in. He was so excited about it. 
His audition came and went and he was super confident. 
AND THEN>>>>he brought home his progress report. 2 B's, 1 C, 1 D and A FREAKING E. Are you kidding me boy??? This mama marched to his conferences to see what the heck happened. It was pretty resounding....nice, polite kid who is disorganized. They were all impressed that he had been asking for his work to try and get caught up. However, my reaction was...if this were your job Ayden, you'd be fired!!
Why am I writing all this? Because when we got to the choir teacher, his teacher had scored him extremely high for his talent/pitch/etc but poor marks for him being prepared for rehearsal. Then he looked at Ayden's progress report (which, while we were there had been adjusted to 2 B's, 3 C's and a D)...and basically said...you have all the talent in the world, but no work ethic to go with it. 

He didn't make it into honors choir. 

It all comes down to his work ethic. DAMN. Failed him again. 
I remember in school when coaches always picked the kids that worked hard over the kids that had talent. I was one of those "work hard" kids. So, the whole concept of not trying is out there for me. 
Ayden took it pretty hard that he didn't make it, but I'm hoping that it's enough to motivate him to do better and be more. 


No comments: