Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I should have read the fine print:(

Hi Folks!!
Sorry I've been MIA...does it seem like once summer rolls around things are crazy 24-7? I mean, we've been gone so much that I only had to run the dishwasher once last week...coming from a home that runs the dishwasher ONCE A DAY! Yikes! I'm enjoying this new work schedule and having an extra day off, but those 12 hour days are taxing.
On an exciting note...I BOUGHT MY PLANE TICKET FOR VEGAS TODAY!!!! EEEEKKKKK! I was planning on running the Las Vegas Marathon in December...I've booked my ticked and went to the site to check out the details (I've run the rock n roll chicago and have stalked the site for a few other races) and imagine my crushing disappointment when I realized that THERE'S A TIME LIMIT OF 4:30 for this race. Are you effing kidding me?? Even if the stars were to align, that would be shaving 29 minutes off my best marathon. Hell. But, I didn't train for that 4:59 marathon...maybe I could train and do it?? I don't know what to think. Lucky for me, the next price increase isn't until September, so I have a little time to ponder this situation. I could go and run the half, but I really want to run the "strip" and that is mile 14-26...
what do you think??
On a running note, I've been getting some serious runs in...my co-worker has been doing some speed work with me at lunch time and I'm rolling with my new motto and "making uncomfortable my friend"...I mean, what part of running so hard you can't breath and you feel like you're about to die isn't awesome?? I'm super pumped for my half this weekend in Charlovix this weekend with the EPIC running club...along the lake, a local brewery that night...it should be an AMAZING adventure! ANd the best part is the FORECAST! It's my fave type of running weather (50-60's) and I'm hoping to crush my PR.
Anyone else running Vegas??
What races are you planning??
Hope you have a great week!
GYRO


10 comments:

Missy said...

Don't worry about that time limit, just do your best and push to go as fast as you can! lol

Cari Mugz said...

I would go with try to do it. If you get to worried can you do the half instead?

Johann said...

You can certainly do this. There is more than enough time to train for this. If you can go under 5 hours you can do sub 4:30 for sure. I think it's a great goal to work for.

Andrea said...

Hey girl,

You can definitely run a 4:30. If you ran your 4:59 at Kalamazoo, you should be all set! Vegas is flat and the weather should be ideal! Lots of time to push for more mileage and more cross training and you will do great! :)

Kristin said...

I am pretty sure the half runs the strip as well--check the website for the course description. I was pretty surprised by the extreme time limit on the full...it really puts the race out of reach of an "average" runner (or someone who wants to get married on the course, haha). I wonder if this will just prevent a lot if people from signing up, or if they're going to really enforce it!

Val said...

So jealous! I wanted to run in Charlevoix but it wasn't in the cards this year;) You can totally get down to 4:30. And think what a motivating goal that will be!

Kristin said...

And another thing (I'm sort of obsessed with this time limit thing), if the half has a 4-hour time limit (meaning to 9:30 p.m.), and the full finishes by doing the half marathon route, then why shouldn't marathoners have until 9:30 as well? Which means 5.5 hours since the full starts at 4 p.m. This sounds like BAD MATH to me!

Colleen said...

You so can do this Erika! Think about how much you have accomplished this year already! You have about 5 mo until Vegas. That is plenty of time to bust ass and get it done! I believe in you!

Kiesha said...

If you didn't train for the other one then you WILL cruch your PR. You've got time to run and get ready and now you've got a great goal to work towards. Good Luck!

Molly said...

You can totally do it, plus think of all the work you'll be putting in between now and then! You keep getting stronger and stronger, go for it!