Sunday, June 12, 2011

Do you Believe?

There are so many things that people believe in these days.
What do you believe in?
God, ghosts, magic, people...
There is a lot I believe in, but I haven't always been a strong believer.
Growing up, I was always sensitive. My mom would simply raise her voice and it would send me to tears. When I hit elementary school/middle school, I was an athlete. My biggest fail...the FAILURE to BELIEVE IN MYSELF. I don't know why, and I don't know if I could ever explain it, but I've always been so full of self doubt. So unsure. So unbelieving that I could do amazing things. So worried about what people think or are going to say about me. So worried of failure. So worried of disappointing people who I love. I never lived for me, but for other people's reactions. Throughout the years, I've grown up a lot, made a lot of mistakes, felt the hurt of failures, felt the sting of rejection, cried tears of happiness and sorrow, laughed until my sides hurt, cherished so many fun adventures with amazing friends and family...
and now, the year of my 30th birthday, I can finally, finally say that I BELIEVE IN MYSELF. It took so much for me to get to this point, but I have a very few special friends that have helped me overcome so much and showed me how to truly embrace myself for who I am, to know that I am special and that I AM WORTH IT. Another huge influence for me to finally come to this conclusion is running. I never in a million years dreamed that I would be sitting here, 3 marathons in...but the amazingness I felt with all of my positive self talk during Kalamazoo and Cleveland has left me happy and at ease. I now know that I can do anything as long as I truly believe in my heart that I can. It only takes a thought.
The reason I'm writing this is to show you my friendly reminder that I got yesterday to always remind myself to believe.





This is Hebrew for "believe in yourself" so that in my lowest of lows I can look down and remember how it feels to believe in yourself, and that all things are possible. Do you believe in yourself?

I'm ending with this video of monkey man tonight at dinner. Love this little guy! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!




11 comments:

Nicole said...

I believe in you & i love you sis!!! :) Thanks for always being there... no matter what!

Elizabeth said...

Great post, am going to the believing in myself phase right now. Sometimes it is so hard, since there are always people around to tell me I can't and why try but I am learning to ignore them and push forward.

Amber E. said...

Loved this post! You are so right, I struggle with the same thing :)

Christine said...

Your post reminds me so much of myself. I'm fortunate to find a very supportive boyfriend who makes me believe again. LOVE your tattoo!!

Sherry @ Life from my persective said...

Love the tattoo - it will be a wonderful reminder!

Heather said...

Great post! It's an awesome feeling when you believe in yourself! I had the same type of journey to get to that feeling too, but I think the journey is so important. Nice tattoo, great reminder!

ATTrio said...

What a great post! It is such a great feeling to finally feel good in your own skin. It took me a long time to get that way as well but so happy that I found myself!
Sarah

Molly said...

wow! I love it!

You truly are amazing, you're a running inspiration to me, honestly.

: )

B.o.B. said...

Aw! Such a lovely, inspiring post. And I LOVE the tat. It's perfect! And you are totally WORTH IT.

Tricia said...

love it!

Colleen said...

Love this post!

I believe in you, and you are a huge part of why I believe in myself also!


I cannot tell you how much running has helped with my confidence, and I would NOT be running if it were not for you!

You freaking rock.