Sunday, March 13, 2011

Life on Drugs...

I realize that I seem to start every post these days with...sorry I'm not the best blogger.
Hm.
This time I really do have a good excuse:)
Every time I try and write a post...I sound goofy. Why? Because I'm on some serious pain meds...thank God! Again, why?
I manned up and had my shoulder surgery. I'm not glad I did it right now, but I'm sure in a few weeks, I'll be feeling much better. It's been terribly difficult, but I've had some tremendous support from Lizzie, my mom and Davan. They have all been SUPER helpful with the kiddos...man, do you know how hard it is to change a shitty diaper with only one hand?? Good grief!

For those of you that are like me, I'm posting a few pictures of my surgery. If you have a queasy tummy, quit now:)

I had surgery on Wednesday morning. I got there nice and early, had the most awesome nurse ever start my IV (which is usually my most dreaded thing about any hospital stay) and was soon consulted by the anesthesiologist. He came in and did a scalene block, but sedated me with what the nurse described as liquid margaritas that are directly placed into my IV. It was some seriously amazing stuff with no hangover:)
Anyways, into surgery I went and woke up a few hours later feeling like I got hit by a small garbage truck. Yikes.
My mom got me home and tucked into bed to sleep it off...the next day I had LOTS of visitors...Ali from work who brought me yummy fruit and bread, flowers from my work family, My best RB ever Nicole with a magazine, cute froggy and box of gobbies:) I am so spoiled! Thank you so much for all of you who were thinking of me and sending me good thoughts!!


According to the surgeon, there was no laberal tear which was good news!! But there was a hole in the muscle and some damage to the humeral head. Here are a few pictures that I think are pretty sweet. Oh...and my surgeon is the bomb because he video taped the surgery for me and I've been able to watch it which is awesome!!
Anyways, check this out:
One of the rotator cuff muscles


Humeral head and socket which should be all white and smooth...



Microfracture


So, because of all of these findings, I get to rock this awesome thing for the next 6 weeks without using my arm AT ALL!

Excuse my crazy hair, but have you ever tried to do your hair with one hand?? I challenge you all to try and use one hand to pull your bangs up/put in a pony tail. Let me know if you find an easy way to do it:)

I think I may head into work tomorrow and treat myself on stim and ride the bike because I'm already going a little crazy sitting at home. And forgive me in advance for my next 6 weeks of stir craziness:) Hang on though, it may be a fun ride!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

PS... My friend Colleen is starting a running/weight loss blog and would love some support...if you have time, stop by and tell her good job:) Thanks!

11 comments:

Missy said...

So glad the surgery went well and in a few weeks you will be feeling great!

bobbi said...

I have been wondering about you!! Glad the surgery went well...you'll be back at it in NO time!

(tell those Monkeys to be extra nice to their Mama!)

Colleen Pitmon said...

thanks for the shout out erika! It was great to see you yesterday!

Nicole said...

Love you!!! :) Ill do your hair all pretty for you on friday for the party if you want?!? see you soon best friend!

Karen said...

Sorry about your shoulder! The pictures are really interesting! Hope you heal up soon!! :0)

Morgan said...

Rest and recover chica!!! So glad the surgery went ok, have been thinking about you!!!

As a side note, regarding seeing a PT about my leg issues, do I need a slip from a doc to see one or can I just walk in? I do not have insurance so...

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I'm sure you'll be feeling better in no time. Good luck slowing down to recovery with your monkeys!

Molly said...

hope you're feeling better now, I still have fond memories of Percocet after having my kids : )

the dawn said...

wow, glad that the surgery is over! i'm super impressed with your attitude. i know that you really wanted to tackle some huge challenges this spring with your running...but having full use of your arm is more important. you made the right decision and i wish you a smooth road to recovery!

Jessie said...

Get better soon!

Karen said...

Hope your recovery process is a quick one!! :0) The pictures are very interesting!