Monday, January 3, 2011

Waking up to 20/20

Hi all! I know I've been a terrible blogger, but I've been reading and it's been exciting to read a lot of people's racing caps of their years! This post is not going to be about recapping my year of successful running because honestly, I only started this running adventure about 10 months ago with my first race being in April, so I somewhat feel it would be more appropriate to give my recap then...I am pretty proud that I've managed to run a handful of 5, 8 and 10 K's, 3 halfs and a FULL marathon in less than a year. That's pretty sweet:)
My next training plan was supposed to start last week, and I'm disappointed to say that I haven't been able to workout AT ALL! And I'm starting to go nuts. BUT there is a good reason that has been a long time coming and it has been worth EVERY second of insanity!! I haven't been posting any pictures lately and that's because I've been sporting these hot things:

Notice the difference?? Yep, I'm wearing glasses. I've been wearing glasses since 5th grade...and got my contacts shortly after because of playing sports, and I really didn't want to be that chick in the rect-ta-specs. I have been saving all year (thank you health savings account!) and I finally had enough saved up to undergo the Lasik procedure. Biggest downfall...you have to wear your glasses for at least 2 weeks before surgery. Huh? I've never wore my glasses out of the house if I could help it. Maybe a day here or there when I was prego, but never for consecutive days. Sigh. I felt so limited and boxed in. I didn't want to work out because I hated that I had such limited vision, they would slide, fog up...uggh. The list of hate goes on and on. Anyways, Dec 30th, Miss Nicole took my to Lansing for my procedure. After an amazing shopping trip where we found the sweetest accessory for our Nashville race (info to come later!) we headed to TLC.
I was super nervous. I mean, they go through all the things that could go wrong, and losing my vision forever seemed kind of scary. After tons of testing and meetings, it was finally time! I sported my super cute cap and booties, got about 100 drops in my eyes and was off to the surgical suite. The cool thing is that Nicole got to watch the whole thing!! There was a viewing window so she was able to snap a few pictures! Here I am right before I lay down in the chair!
Can you tell I'm terrified?? So, I won't go into a lot of detail, but they tape your eyelashes down, and then place an eye speculum (yep, just like the female drs but for the eye) and crank your eye ball wide open. This is followed by 2 lasers and the dr poking and smoothing things down. I almost passed out and threw up, but only because I was holding my breath. Hell. And lots and lots of pressure. The worst part is when they place the vacuum on your eyeball and everything goes black. Kind of scary. Of when you can smell the laser burning your eye. Ewww. Nicole managed to snap a few sweet picts. While you can't see in person what's going on, check out the TV next to me. Yep that's my eyeball on TV and him poking it. Sweet, huh?







It was pretty uncomfortable for the rest of the day and I came home and tried to sleep it away. Think having contact in inside/out. But I woke up with 20/20 vision!!! How amazing is that? I can see my tv, alarm clock, kids...everything! I can't believe I waited so long!!

I hope everyone had an amazing holiday season! I'm going to love on Jack for a minute because he's about to pull me off the bed, but I promise I'll be back to blogging because training starts Thursday when I get released to work out again!! Whoot whoot!


11 comments:

abbi said...

Yay for the Lasik! I had no idea you had to wear glasses the 2 weeks leading up to it! Happy New Year

Nicole said...

YAY! No more glasses!!! Love you sis! Excited for what 2011 has in store for our adventures!

H Love said...

Training starts for me too!! When is your next race?

Way to big a big girl and be so brave!

Alison said...

Are you doing the rock and roll half in nashville??

Allie said...

Ahhh I've been debating Lasik forever!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

So glad you came through and all is well! Now how willthose glasses "die"? That's post worthy all by it's self. (Yeah I wear glasses so I fantisize about how I'd get rid of him!)

Morgan said...

That's so awesome girl! Congrats!

Missy said...

Wow congrats to you! I wear glasses/contacts also but I am scared to death of Lasik and that description sounded horrifying, but kudos to you for getting done!

Molly said...

I saw some of your tweets about your eyes! That's awesome, I've worn contacts since high school, so I can see why you had it done!

Happy New Year : )

Karen (Toronto Girl West) said...

LOL I probably would have cried right after the whole everything going black thing!

You're one brave cookie!

I've looked into lasik before but it turns out I'm not a candidate. Boo-urns! I guess I'll just have to embrace the contacts!

Toronto Girl West
http://torontogirlwest.com

Circus Daily said...

YAY for fixed eyeballs. way to bring in the new year, 20/20 and all.

I don't remember ever seeing you in glasses growing up...you kept that secret pretty safe.

Happy New Years
Alissa