Thursday, September 16, 2010

3 things Thursday...

Weeks are flying by and time is ticking away...and while my life is crazy, it's amazingly fun and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Here's what's happening this week:

1) Long run on the schedule for Saturday morning. 18 miles. Without my running buddy. But my totally amazing mom who started riding her bike a couple years ago has decided to ride with me and carry me some beverages:) Isn't she amazing?? She barely even flinched when I said, "Well, I'm starting at 6am, mom." I have to start that early because we have a packed weekend of events...Friday, Maddie has a friend staying the night, sat, long run, pedicure, picture taking and off to Kalamazoo (about an hour away) for a college friend reunion (I love getting together and letting all the kiddos play!) Should be fun:)

2) I'm on vacation next week. Totally rocks. I'm planning on organizing my house, trips to IKEA and painting AJ and Jack's bedroom (who want a football room, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with it!) I was thinking maybe green walls with white stripes...but, eh, we will see. I've never taken a week off just to "get stuff done," but I'm really looking forward to it. (Is it too early to get out my Halloween decorations??) Even more, I'm looking ahead at my 20 miler that I'm going to get done on Friday and possibly an adventure on the train to Chicago to visit some friends. Either way, it will be amazing!

3) I'm finally trying to figure out blogger and hook up my blog with fun tabs! Nicole got things set and made me this cute new header, and I spent some time last night working on the Distance Dreamers Tab so I now believe I have them all in one spot! I'm busy making my way around to every one's blog, if you're bored and want to wish them luck, please do! All of these amazing people are signed up to run their first half/full marathon and would love some encouragement! Way to go peeps! Thanks Nicole for the cute header:)

One last thing...while running on the treadmill at work today (did I mention that I made it 6 miles in 51 minutes...that's pretty speedy for me:) Brandon asked me what my goal was for Long Beach. My response. Just to finish. He asked, I mean, what are you running your long runs at...
I try to stay consistent at around 10 minute miles.
He made it seem like I should be running my long runs a lot slower until race day. Like 11-11:30ish.
What do you think?
How fast do you run your long runs?

Hope everyone is having an amazing week!
GYRO!







11 comments:

Andrew Opala said...

I go to the Macmillan running calculator and type in my expected time and distance of the race, then I look at what is says I should be running my long, recovery and tempo runs at.

Andrew Opala said...

also
... man, you're busy!

Morgan said...

Having a running sherpa rocks during long runs! Load her up with a backpack full of goodies and enjoy the convo as the miles tick off.

As for long runs, some people train at pace for all their long runs, others don't. Its really all about what your training plan says and how you feel. Personally I've always trained with my long runs around 30-45 sec slower than my intended race pace so I didn't burn out during training and I've never failed to run right on pace or slightly faster come race day. Long runs are about endurance, tempo runs are for speed and come race day it'll all works itself out if you've trained well. If the pace your training at feels good and isn't burning you out then stay at it girl.

Enjoy your vaca week and good luck this weekend!

Missy said...

A week off to get things done, sounds awesome! There is never enough time in the day or weeks! lol
Good luck with your long runs, I have another 8 miler this weekend on top of some fun plans as well! By the way I got my package and I love the bag thanks!

Nicole said...

ah! i'm glad i'm running with you on Saturday! Maybe your dear mom will ride back and forth between us and load us up with hydration? Miss you so much!!! <3

p.s. ive called you like 5 times now and it says please leave a message... um no thanks, id like to talk to you.....

Zaneta said...

love the new header! :D Very cute!

Emz said...

YAY for IKEA trips - fun!

I run the first 1/2 of my long run about 45 seconds slower than race pace then I run at race pace for the second half. It's what works for me. ;)

the dawn said...

4 weeks!!!! eeeeee!

so fabulous that your mom is riding as your bike support. i did that with my dad last week and it was really fun! he had to get a running start at the hills though, otherwise i'd leave him in the dust. hehe.

last marathon cycle i actually ran my long runs with a friend and they were all a full minute or two slower than what i was able to do on race day. never be afraid of running too slow on long runs. they are about spending the time on your feet and getting your body used to the time and distance, not speed.

Natalia said...

Hi Erika, thanks for stopping by my blog. I am excited that you will be joining us and participating in the World Run Day!
Enjoy your holiday, and good luck at the weekend.

abbi said...

Love the new 'look' of the blog. Hope the long run goes well - very cool that your Mom will be joining!

Julie said...

Good luck with your 18 miler this weekend...I have 16:) Keep it up!