Sunday, September 19, 2010

12 week wrap up!

Since I'm enjoying vacation this week, I'm just dropping by with a quick training update because I'm looking forward to a long nights sleep and I can't wait!!

here's the breakdown:
Monday: 5 miles at the park
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: missed my 9 miles thanks to a work meeting soooo...
Thursday: 6 super speedy miles on MY LUNCH HOUR!!!
Friday: rest
Saturday: drumroll....18 MILES! Whooottttt hooooooo!



I was really nervous about this run because of my last 16 miler...calf cramps were in the back of my mind and I've been missing runs here and there. Nicole and I headed to the trail around 6:30 am and I called my mom on the way. She was going to load her bike and meet us there...and then ride between us and give us drinks and encouragement. We started running and she called around mile 1.5 and said she would be there in 20 minutes. I had originally planned on fueling every 5 miles, so I reminded her that we would be needing water soon. At 4 miles, Nicole decided to speed up a little and I kept my 9:40-10:00 pace. The miles ticked by, mostly uneventful...4...5...6...where is my mom??? I'm starting to be a little nervous, and really needing some water/fuel. 7...8...and then she appeared. She was surprised by how fast we had been running as she had been trying to catch us for 45 minutes. Ha! Right about then Nicole had turned around and we ditched our shirts and stuff with mom and kept plugging away. Really, I can't say that my run was eventful...I felt pretty darn good for pretty much the entire thing. I stopped to walk twice and it was only so I could drink without spilling down myself. I was able to get to 13.1 miles in 2 hours 10 minutes which is better than any half I've run to date. My very most favorite part of my run was my mom riding up to me at mile 12 and chatting for a few...about the video posted below...about her being proud of me for my running accomplishments (seriously people, when people who knew me "before running" find out that I've been running, they are seriously shocked.) It was a really great run. While I was a little tired on Saturday, I wasn't sick AT ALL which is a first, and the compression socks I bought really helped my calves a ton!!
20 next Friday...bring it. I'm stoked!
Hope everyone had an amazing weekend!
GYRO~

Oh, and if you're in need for some inspiration, check out the video below...dare you to do it without tears!


13 comments:

the dawn said...

amazing! so great to have such a great support system. your mom rocks! i was running with a girl last weekend and she was telling me that her parents barely notice when she's training and don't come to races. it made me appreciate the dedication of my folks so much more. good work on the 18 miles and its so great to have a run where nothing goes wrong and you end up with so much more confidence going into the big day. one more milestone: 20 miles. you're going to rock it and the coast to the starting line :)

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on the runs!

Andrew Opala said...

so cool about your mom!

so cool

H Love said...

way to go!!!

H Love said...

way to go!!!

Nicole said...

I am so proud of you and your accomplishments! Your fabulous! I can't wait for you to cross the finish line. Tomorrow will be so fun! Love you!

Molly said...

you are TOTALLY going to nail that 20 miler! Love how your Mom met up with you...and yes, I got teary at the video, Fix You is on my running music rotation, I'll cry listening to it while running down my street!

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

...okay finally watched it.

yep, tears.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Congrats on a successful training run! I had a string of not-so-great long runs and then my 18 went well and my 20 went fantastically. It's nice to have good & uneventful runs to give you some confidence.

I was also not a runner so people are shocked to find I have ran a marathon and am training for another one.

That's so cool that you had your mom out there, cheering you on and providing fuel! I always do my runs completely solo... which is fine but a little encouragement along the way would be awesome!

Kellie said...

Sounds like it was a great run! I wish I could talk someone into carrying my water for me when I tackle my long runs by myself. Keep up the good training!

Circus Daily said...

Erica your amazing...I wish I had it in me to run 18 miles...or 1 if that. Say "hi" to your mom for me.

Natalia said...

You totally rocked those 18 miles! Thanks for joining me on World Run Day, looking forward to reading more about it.

Adam said...

Way to go on the 18 miler!! That is so awesome.

The 6 miler over lunch was pretty sweet too.