Sunday, September 12, 2010

11 weeks down, only 5 to go!!

well, it's a wrap on week 11...and while it seems like it's so far away, seeing this in my inbox is proof that it's right around the corner:)



Since I recapped most of my week on Thursday, I'll save all the boring stats and just give a little race report about the 2 races I ran this weekend. My co-worker Taryn, Nicole and I all ran a local 5K (after we finished the 5 mile run before!) This was Taryn's first 5K and she threw down like a champ. Nicole and I had full intentions of running 4-5 miles before the race started to get our long run in (supposed to run 16) but oversleeping and cranky kids got me there with only 25 minutes to spare. We ended up running a 1.5 mile warm up and then ran right to the start line! This course was a hilly, hilly bastard. I'm not sure how it is possible to run up 10 hills and only down 2, but that's certainly how it felt. Honestly, I felt pretty good, especially with the hills because I'm pretty sure a month ago I would have walked. Anyways, I finished the 5 mile run in 45:37. We had a 10 minute break to take some pictures with our new running friends and we were off again. The 5K was fun because we all ran together...but it was the SAME hilly CouRse! SIGH! We finished in 35:03 and it was a hilarious run! Nicole and I ran the whole way doing cheers for Taryn (do you know how hard it is to make a R with your body while you're running???)




Total for the day: 10 miles in 1 hour 40 min flat.
While I am super excited for Taryn, I feel like my running journey has nearly come full circle in the past 8 months. I was listening to her feet slam on the pavement and her super heavy breathing and I was feeling great and light next to her and it kind of hit me. That was me in April. And now...I can go out and run 10 and have fun and talk and laugh while I'm doing it. And it doesn't even phase me. It's been so amazing to see how my body can change and adapt when you push into the limits that have been previously set. I've really come a long way and I am so excited for the next 5 weeks of running to see just how much I can really push.

This coming week I have some longer runs on my schedule again, but I'm not sure about getting midweek long run in (9 on Wednesday) because my work has decided to have a meeting:/ 18 on Saturday is on the agenda for sure, and it will be my first time trying to get that long of a run in by myself because Nicole is going to do her long run on Friday:( I will miss the company...anyone in the area that would like to join me for any part of it, let me know!!
On monkey business...the kids have completed their first week of school! I can't believe that Maddie is already in kindergarten. It seems so crazy...she was cracking me up when she came home Wednesday exclaiming that she was so busy learning in school that she didn't have time to play or eat! No wonder she was passed out by 8!! Yea for school!


Hope everyone had an amazing weekend!! GYRO!



14 comments:

Nicole said...

So proud that you can see how far you've come!!! Your amazing! I can't wait to see you finish your 1st marathon!!!!!! Love you!

Missy said...

Good job this past weekend! Also once again your kids are super cute! Love it!

teacherwoman said...

Great work!

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

I just love you photos!

You getting in some great runs and it sounds like you are having a blast doing it.

Hey you won some goodies on my blog the 1st of September. Email me for details!

the dawn said...

that medal looks awesome! and it's going to mean so much knowing how much work you've put into it. the medals make it worth it :)

its always so important to recognize the growth. i'm glad that you were reminded of how far you've come in such a short time. you're awesome!

Julie said...

Congrats on finishing week 11 of your training! You have come so far and you are going to rock the last of your five weeks:) Keep up the great work!

Thanks for sharing all of those fantastic pictures! Your kids are super cute:)

Johann said...

It's amazing how you can now almost casually refer to the other races you ran. You've come a long way and you are ready for the marathon. Well done!

Tara said...

awesome job on the race! and awesome job on relaizing how far you've come! Excited for you to run Long Beach...it will be a great day for you! :)

Eryn said...

Erika, thanks for commenting on my blog! I LOVE yours! It's so inspiring to me! I can't wait to read more of your story...but it's so encouraging to see you training for a marathon, knowing you only started less than a year ago! I'm training for my first half marathon on Oct 17th and have my first 10 mile run on Friday. I am loving it, and remember well the feeling 3 or so months ago when i started up, and barely running three huffing and puffing :)

Eryn said...

Erika, thanks for commenting on my blog! I LOVE yours! It's so inspiring to me! I can't wait to read more of your story...but it's so encouraging to see you training for a marathon, knowing you only started less than a year ago! I'm training for my first half marathon on Oct 17th and have my first 10 mile run on Friday. I am loving it, and remember well the feeling 3 or so months ago when i started up, and barely running three huffing and puffing :)

Chris K said...

LB Marathon rocks. Perfect size, perfect time, perfect course. But, I've already expressed my opinions on this race. I had to push my entry fee to 2011 due to an injury. See you then. Looking forward to the race report.

Molly said...

I love that moment when you're running along and it feels automatic, you're getting stronger, thats GREAT!!

thanks so much for all the supportive comments about the marathon, I can't believe it's over!!!!

ann said...

Thanks so much for the nice message on my blog. GOOD LUCK on your 1st marathon! You will rock it!

Amy said...

This is a very nice post, so informative and interesting. Thanks for sharing such a great post.


zbsports