Thursday, August 5, 2010

Three things Thursday

Chalk this up to, so far, an amazing week!
1) Today I completed my second week of training with Nick. He's really helping me focus on my form and I'm faithful that my snapping hip and knee pain will go away! Actually, since I've started focusing more on my form and how my feet hit the ground, I haven't had any knee pain (knock on wood!) I'm a little nervous about changing a lot of things right in the middle of marathon training, but I'm torn between good form/most efficient and already trained/built endurance. I don't know if I'll have enough time to build up the endurance of muscles (like my super weak hip flexors and adductors) to finish a 26.2 mile run, but I'm even more worried that if I continue to run with crappy form, I'm going to be running injured! For now, I'm going to continue working out with Nick 2 times a week and running 3-4 days a week.


2) Saturday will mark my longest run to date. I'm going to shoot for 15 miles. GASP! I have never run this far in my life, so I'm excited/nervous. I'm going to be meeting Nicole at the bike trail so I'm hoping for a nice run. I'm also hoping I don't feel like dying like I did on Sunday at the end of Chicago. I'm for sure not going to be running as fast, and my goal will be just to get them in. It will also be a good chance for me to do some more experimenting with fuel, and I'm really needing to get a hydration belt SOON! I just can't decided what I want to get. I'm torn between the belt and hand held.



3) I had the most amazing run with my GYRO girl Abbey tonight! I was supposed to run 7, but we got a really late start so we were shooting for 5. After looking at my splits from Chicago, Brandon told me I really need to work on evening my pace out. So Abs and I set out for a 1 mile warm up around 10:45, then ran 5 miles between 10:05-10:20 with a really slow cool down mile around 12:00. We ended up getting all 7 in and it was the first time that I've stayed within a certain range. Usually, I end up with 1-2 minutes time difference in splits. I was so proud of Abbey too! It was only a few short weeks ago that we went on our first long run together and she was really tired...tonight, we ran and talked with no music the entire time!
Fantastic!


Oh...I'm going to add a number 4 because I keep forgetting to post it. Recently Abbi started a group for people who are running their first half/full marathon this year! It's called the Distance Dreamers and so far it's amazing! I've come across some amazing new blogs and have been so inspired! I found out that Oprah ran a marathon in 4:29...geeez, I want to beat that! Anyways, I'm hoping to soon get a Distance Dreamers blog roll over on the side so you can all head out and root these people on! Way to go friends!! I hope to make it to your blogs soon if I haven't already been there!

I hope everyone has an amazing weekend! My 300th post will be coming VERY soon, so check back for a giveaway! Happy Thursday!

12 comments:

Christina M. Helsel said...

Even though I'm a newbie at this, I tend to think that improving your technique leads to improved performance--even if it means taking one step back in order to take two steps forward. It sounds like you are making a lot of great changes right now that will lead to better performance in the long run :)

15 miles! I'm super jealous! I can't wait until I'm at that point :)

I checked out Distance Dreamers very briefly today and was really impressed--I love the camaraderie in what appears on the surface to be a very independent sport. Need to explore more there soon--thanks for the tip!

Leah B. said...

Running futher than you ever have is so much fun! Maybe not at the time but it is exciting! You are going to rock those 15 miles :)

Johann said...

Good luck with the 15 miles! Just relax and enjoy it. You are making awesome progress.

abbi said...

Sounds like a great week and have fun on the 15-miler!

Jon said...

Good luck with the 15 miler! I will be following you on your journey to 26.2.

Julie said...

I hope that you have a wonderful 15 mile run this weekend! I am a Distance Dreamer too:)

Heather said...

Good luck with your long run this weekend! just take it slow and you'll be fine.

Allie said...

You're going to rock your long run! Have fun :)

the dawn said...

YAY 15! You are going to do so awesome! sounds like you'd be ready for 16 next week? You up for meeting up somewhere in the middle?

As for hydration...I use a handheld. I got it cause it was cheaper and I knew that I wanted one for racing with anyway. Sometimes I do wish that I could carry more water with me...so I'm tempted to upgrade. But my handheld got me through training once, I'm sure that it will do it again!

runnernic.com said...

i am so so so proud of you on running 15 yesterday! you are amazing and you WILL do great in long beach!!!! great job focusing on your pace and rocking it!

Katie said...

Hi Erika! I'm so glad to have found your blog through the Distance Dreamers. I hope that your 15 miler went well! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday :)

Tricia said...

great job on your run!