Thursday, July 1, 2010

Three things Thursday...

Ahhh...for three things Thursday...where to start...

1) Let's talk about running! My training plan for Long Beach officially started Sunday. I ran 4 miles on Mon, rested on Tuesday (but actually did about 6 hours of cross training in the pool with some serious kick butt exs!!) Wednesday I was supposed to get a full hour of running in (no set miles) but because it has been so stinking hot here in Florida, I had to resort running on the treadmill. While it was a nice facility, I hate running while staring straight ahead in the mirror...I then start critiquing my form, nagging myself, and it turns into a very negative moment for me. I did learn a TON of info this week (especially about being negative, see #2 below) and I'm really hoping to reshape my thinking process. With that being said, during my 5 mile treadmill stint, I was really questioning my ability to rock Chicago, let alone Long Beach! Sigh! I'm going to jump off my negative horse and onto the positive one...see below:) I'm planning on running 8 tomorrow and 6 on Saturday. A little detour from my plan which says 4 tomorrow and 6 on Saturday, but I'm feeling the pressure about Chicago in 4 weeks and really need to get my butt moving!

2) Florida has been amazing and my head is about to explode with new information! I'm seriously overwhelmed! Some of my favorite classes have been return to walk/running after injury (seriously one of the hardest pool workouts I've EVER. DONE.) I've also learned some amazing lumbar stabilization stuff and techniques that I've had very little experience with like Watsu and Ai Chi. The chronic pain class I took today was one of the most motivational classes that I've taken...mostly about attitude and how our train of thought really controls and can actually change our cells at a cellular level...that can't word needs to be erased from my dictionary! So, even though I have serious doubts about these running goals I have set for myself, I'm going to work really hard about believing in myself and not slamming the door on feelings, but acknowledging them and working through them...then telling them to take a hike and kick some ass:)

3) Flat Nicole has been somewhat bored in our hotel room because being in class from 7am-9pm is quite draining! I did take her to the spa today for my first ever steam room experience (note to self: don't breath deep, you will feel like your lungs are ON FIRE!!) When I got out of the steam room, I was so in shock about the experience that I had just had I forgot to take her picture! But I did manage to get this one of her and the sunrise this morning...I'm looking forward to a morning run tomorrow!


I've met a lot of amazing people this week, one of my favorite being a Shelia from Australia! She lives, what I can only imagine, is an amazing life! We hung out last night talking about her crazy adventures...she left today to fly to London for a weekend wedding, somewhere else for a surfing lesson and then to Hon Kong for a visit with a friend! Seriously!? That sounds amazing! I've also made a lot of other friends like these guys...


who also skitter across your feet while running! AHHHHHH!

Those of you that know me know that I've been working on eating healthier but this week may have pushed me to the extreme. For example, I don't eat anything green, but I've been working really hard on liking salad. I will only eat iceberg and I love it covered in dressing and cheese (I know, defeats the purpose, but still) and since I've been here they have been providing some meals for us. I don't eat green "finger lettuce" as I call it, you know, that lettuce or whatever it is that looks like green fingers coming off the plate at you?? This is the salad plate that they set in front of me at dinner yesterday...


and I TRIED it...so I rewarded myself with this...




These people sure know how to hook up desserts...the most AMAZING displays ever!

And last but not least...NICOLE...I miss my partner in crime and can't wait to get home for a good run! Here's to AMAZING FRIENDS! THANK YOU!



7 comments:

abbi said...

sounds like you are having a great week!! I love your reward for trying the salad! :-)

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a great time!

Leslie Collins said...

cracking up at the last pic of you and nicole. :) the marg looks delish. :)

runnernic.com said...

i love our pic! we must retake that when you arrive home! hurry! i miss you!!!!!!!

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

Thanks for joining and the comment. I love input/feedback/opinions!!! It is super late and I have been doing a terrible job at getting to bed this week. LBM is becoming a night owl! Not good the week before an Ultra! So I will be back to catch up on you and your monkeys. I love your header picture and sidebar pics of the monkeys!

Sounds like you have had a great week!

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like a great week! Good job trying the lettuce LOL.

the dawn said...

I've had my fair share of running negatively. I seem to be plagued with doubts all the time. However, they seem to pass every time. And honestly, that's what training is all about, learning to face the inner demons and learn that they don't always win. That way, come race day, you know how to overcome whatever challenges (internal or external) that come up. You are stronger than you think and you will be back on track in no time!!